Ruth has a warm, welcoming teaching style combined with an impressive ability to use our class time to expose students to:
- a methodically laid out series of lessons to build watercolor skills, each lesson incorporating previously learned information
- demonstrations combined with commentary to clearly teach techniques
- homework clearly described, with templates to work from made available with ample time to complete the homework
- history of watercolor, pigment use, color theory, etc
- other watercolorists, their books and work, to expand our experience of various styles
This class has been perfect for me to relearn skills from years past. I have never felt talked down to in a lesson, if I was familiar with something I was able to improve that skill. The building of skills in a thoughtful manner is helpful to my learning style. Having homework makes me get mypaints out to practice thereby improving.
My goal was to become familiar with watercolor again so that I wouldn't hesitate to use it when I was nature journaling. I feel that I will still have some "in the field" challenges, but I am farther along in the process.
I appreciate the ability to own the lesson. I watch them again and take notes. I watch your technique and see how I have to change to produce better effects. I want to paint with you during class because I think that is the best way to learn, but I do miss some things.
Someone in Santa Rosa has some homework to complete!